Thursday, May 31, 2012

4th Grade Junk Art Wall Sculpture

Fourth grade studied the sculptures of Louise Nevelson to create this "Wall of Junk."  The students quickly identified her use of repeated shapes and forms, as well as using a uniform color. 

Like many art teachers, I'm a collector of junk.  You never know when you might need a bag full of buttons or a broken coffee maker.  The students sorted through my junk collection to find items that had similar shapes and forms.  Using hot glue (whoa...dangerous!) and regular school glue, they arranged the items inside a shoe box.  Some students strictly used one shape (like the cut paper towel tubes below), and some added more shapes.

I had intended on using spray paint to paint the sculptures one color, and even went so far as to have a "color election" with each section of 4th grade.  I don't have a spray booth, and the next best option to use spray paint is outside.  Unfortunately, the weather would not cooperate with our timeline.  It was either too windy or raining.  So, we just left the boxed unpainted, but I'm pretty satisfied with the look of the box collection as a whole.  I displayed the boxes on a rarely used bulletin board, and on top of my cabinets (until the fire marshall showed up) in my classroom for the school year.  The kids loved to look at all of the boxes each time they came into the art room this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment